Sunday, April 7, 2013

I Want to Go to Buffalo Chicken Dip Nachos

I think this clip from the Boondocks will forever be the first thing I think of when I hear "buffalo chicken". 
I got this recipe from someone a few years ago who got it from some restaurant staff who swore them to secrecy. I in turn was told I couldn't share the recipe with anyone other than my mother. I abided by this for quite a while although I wanted to say "if it's that big of a secret they wouldn't have shared it with you." BUT last year sometime I was strolling around a certain well-known nation-wide grocery chain minding my own business. Then what do you know? Basically this exact same recipe was posted at an aisle end-cap with an instructional video. The only difference is they put specific brands on the ingredients. I've also seen it posted various ways all over the internet. (Some people use bleu cheese crumbles-yuck!) I believe that made my agreement null and void. I've cut down on the ranch and hot sauce from the original recipe because it was way to much. (A whole bottle of both hot sauce and ranch? I mean really? That's just wasteful unnecessary.) So lucky you, I get to share.  I should also note that I don't use as much celery as is listed here, simply because I'm not much of a celery fan. But if you omit it, it feels like it's missing the crunch. Here goes:

Buffalo Chicken Dip/Nachos

1 lb of shredded white meat chicken, cooked
    (You can use 2 can of chunk chicken or some mildly seasoned leftover chicken if you'd like.)
1/2 cup chopped jalapenos
    (Use fresh if you like it super spicy or pickled if you want to turn the heat down a bit.)
3-5 celery chutes, chopped
3/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce
8pz pkg cream cheese
1 cup of ranch dressing
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
bag of tortilla chips
(If desired, garnish with salsa, sour cream, celery, cracker crumbles, lettuce,etc)

In a large pot or pan at medium hot on the stove top saute chicken, celery  and jalapenos. When it's semi-browned and well blended, add cream cheese. Stir until melted and well blended. Add hot sauce and ranch. Stir. Reduce heat. Let simmer maybe 10 minutes at least. 
If all you wanted was a bowl of dip to set out, then stop here.

Now to make some nachos.
In a pan, line sections with foil (like in the shape of a bowl) for however many individual servings you'll need (up to 6). Toss tortillas in each. Cover each with dip as much or as little as you're planning on eating/sharing.  Sprinkle with both cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Put this in the over on low heat or warm just long enough for the cheese to melt. When individual portions are ready, top it with salsa and sour cream or whatever else as desired. Even more jalapenos if it so pleases you. :)


Now you may (blow first) delight in your super spicy snack!

-Until again-

**Did you try this or a variation of it? How did you like yours? Comment below.**

No comments:

Post a Comment