Wednesday, January 2, 2013

French Toast to the New Year

Happy 2013! So, I kind of left this page for a bit (more like a year). But it's 2013 I'm back on it now. And I will remain faithful and consistent this time. :) Promise. As soon as I gather all my photos and recipes, I'll post on a regular basis as well as sharing any little adventures that I have.  I felt that since the blog is called French Toast and Fried chicken, my first recipe post should be just that. French Toast at least.  Here goes. If you try it, be sure to let me know what you think.


6 slices of your favorite bread (I use sourdough or honey wheat. It doesn't matter much really, as long as it's a bread you like.)
1 1/2 cup of milk
1 egg
1tsp vanilla
2 tbsp white granulated sugar
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp imitation brandy
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
non-stick spray
a sprinkling of orange zest if available
1/2 tsp nutmeg
optional: powdered sugar or syrup or your favorite fruit and whipped topping for toppings 


Heat non-stick sprayed skillet to med-low heat. In a bowl whisk together the milk and egg. Add white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, brandy, cinnamon, orange zest. This mixture should smell like a cold vanilla milkshake. If it doesn't, you may need to add another 1/2 tsp of flavor. You can cut your bread slices in strips or triangles, however you want, or not at all. Dip the bread in the batter. Place the bread in the skillet. When one side is golden brown, flip it. When both sides are golden brown, remove from the pan. 

When all is said and done, it doesn't hurt to sprinkle it with cinnamon and powdered sugar. Or you could go the traditional route with syrup; to which I suggest you pair it with your favorite fried chicken for dinner. It's also great with peaches and whipped cream. The options are endless. Whatever floats your boat. Happy eating.  
-Until again-

No comments:

Post a Comment