Saturday, January 26, 2013

Granny's Vegetable Soup

vegetable soup and cornbread
So the past couple of days were pretty cold here (by southern standards) and all I wanted to do after work was get home and cuddle up under 5 blankets and have warm food and drink served to me by a foot rubbing manservant. (No luck on the foot rubs or menservants though- darn.) I was also being very cheap. So time's like this, I reach for inexpensive comfort food--like my Granny's homemade vegetable soup. She made this a good bit growing up and still does. When I left for college, I made a point to call her and ask her how to make this. Surprisingly, she actually shared this one. Probably because it's a common southern soup- no big secrets here. She used to make a big pot, and before it's fully cooked she'd take out maybe half, let it reach room temp, and then freeze it for later so it'd be ready in a pinch at a later date. I sometimes do the same. It's simple and inexpensive to make. Our family loves it. It certainly has warmed my bones many a times in the chilly night air. The weird thing is, I usually crave this the most in the summer months for some reason. So, this is the first time this winter I've made it.

It's important to note, that this tastes it's absolute best when you use all fresh and locally grown ingredients. Well, at least that my opinion. But it's okay to use canned or frozen too-- nobody's is judging here. I like it best with cornbread crumbled into it. It also goes well with Townhouse crackers.

I've heard of people adding meat to it--chicken, sausage, ground beef or turkey, beef tips etc. We've both tried that. I prefer it WITHOUT meat hands down. But if that floats your boat, by all means add some to yours.  I've also tried this with sweet peas, carrots, onions, etc. Sometimes, simpler is just plain better.

These measurements aren't exact. You can just eyeball as we so often do. Of course my pot is smaller because it's just me here. I'll eat for a few days by myself if I don't happen to share and maybe freeze some.

Granny's Vegetable Soup

Water- 1 1/2 cups if using canned ingredients, 2- 2 1/2 cups if fresh ingredients
a pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil or margarine
1 tbsp sugar
Tomatoes-
   If fresh, go with 4-5 peeled diced tomatoes
   If canned,  a combined total of around 42 oz
Potatoes (2 russets peeled or 3-4 red unpeeled or peeled)
2 cups Okra, cut- fresh or frozen, rinsed
Corn-
   If fresh, 1 cup loose cut whole kernel golden sweet 
   If canned- I like to use Green Giant Super Sweet White & Yellow corn mix 
      You could also substitute with a can of creamed corn if that's all you have. Found this out by mistake in a            
       pinch. It will make it slightly sweeter so I suggest cutting the sugar in half if you do.
*optional* strip fatback- (Granny uses this- I personally don't because I think it tastes fine without it)

All of your vegetables should be well rinsed/washed before cutting and using. Doesn't hurt to rinse them after peeling and cutting too.

You can either make this stove-top or in the crock-pot. 

If you use the crock-pot just dump it all in and let it cook on low for 5-6 hours. Stir every so often.

If you're going the stove top route and you want it like Granny's. On medium-low heat fry up a strip of fatback. I usually skip this part.
Then add water, salt, sugar, veg oil or margarine whichever you chose. Do not add anything else for at least 5 minutes. Bring to a boil.  (As a note, Granny told me whenever I'm cooking something that requires a boil etc to let the seasonings and water simmer/boil together first for a few minutes before adding what's being cooked. I think this helps a good bit with even distribution on flavoring too).
Add okra, corn, potatoes, and tomatoes. Boil for about 30 minutes. Simmer covered on medium-low heat for at least an hour before serving. 


Easy, pleasy, hot and steamy.

-Until again-


No comments:

Post a Comment